Mini. Fits in any space, fills any room.
Mighty. Surprisingly rich sound despite its size.
Two PLAY:1s work as Sonos home cinema rear speakers.
Wall or stand-mountable.
Streams over wi-fi, not Bluetooth, so the music never stops – even if you get a phone call.
Small is beautiful.
PLAY:1 is our smallest speaker. So it’s a perfect fit for bookshelves, counters, and other snug places. So now you can enjoy great-sounding music wherever you want to listen.
SET UP OVER WIFI.
Plug in. Connect. Stream without interruptions or interference.
START WITH ANY ROOM. ADD ON LATER.
Play different songs in different rooms. Or the same song everywhere.
CONTROL WITH ONE APP.
Pick a room. Pick a song. Hit play.
KEEPS GETTING BETTER.
Software updates mean the product you buy today will be even better tomorrow.
Sounds bigger than it looks.
Wonder where all that sound is coming from? The technical answer: from a pair of Class-D amplifiers and custom-built drivers, all meticulously tuned to the speaker’s unique acoustic architecture.
One app. Complete music control.
The Sonos app helps you quickly search through all your services to track down your favourite music, play it and adjust the volume in different rooms throughout the home. You don’t even have to be in the same room as a speaker. And if your friends have the Sonos app, they can do the same.
Over 30 streaming services available.
Sonos plays everything: the most popular streaming services, on-demand services, internet radio, your favourite podcasts and audiobooks, your go-to collection of downloads—whatever you love to listen to.
Play music from Spotify straight to Sonos.
Enjoy all the personalised Spotify playlists and other listening features you love and more, streaming in perfect sound on your Sonos speakers, without needing to open your Sonos app.
Trueplay, custom speaker-tuning for your PLAY:1.
Sonos uses Trueplay tuning to make sure you get the very best sound out of your PLAY:1. No matter where you put it.
Learn more about Trueplay
The PLAY:1® is the newest, most compact Sonos wireless speaker that lets you use any Sonos controller to control and enjoy all the music you want all over your home (see The Sonos App for more information).
• Two custom-designed drivers, 3.5 in / 9 cm mid-woofer and tweeter, each with a dedicated amplifier.
• Play/Pause functionality remembers the last thing you were listening to. You can even skip to the next track with a double press.
• Pair two PLAY:1s for amazing stereo sound or use two PLAY:1s as rear speakers for your Sonos PLAYBAR® home theater system.
• Works seamlessly with the complete range of Sonos products.
On/Off Your Sonos system is designed to be always on; the system uses minimal electricity whenever it is not playing music. To quickly stop streaming audio in all rooms, select Pause All from the Rooms menu.
To stop streaming audio in one room, press the Play/Pause button on the player.
Play/Pause button Toggles between playing and pausing the audio in this room (defaults to restarting the same music source when pressed unless a different source is selected).
• Press once to start or stop streaming audio
• Press twice to skip to the next track (if applicable to the selected music source)
Status indicator Indicates the current status. During normal operation the white light is dimly lit. If desired, you can turn off the white light from Room Settings.
See Player Status Indicators for a complete list of status indications.
Selecting a Location
You can locate a Sonos PLAY:1 just about anywhere. For maximum enjoyment, we have a few guidelines:
• The PLAY:1 is designed to work well even when placed next to a wall or other surface. For optimum performance, maintaining more than 1 inch (2.5 cm) clearance around the back of the unit is recommended.
• Care should be taken if placing the PLAY:1 close to an older CRT (cathode ray tube) television. If you notice any discoloration or distortion of your picture quality, simply move the PLAY:1 further from the television.
• The PLAY:1 is humidity-resistant so you can use it in the bathroom; however it is not water-resistant so don’t position it near water or leave it outside during a rain storm.
The Sonos PLAY:1 has a standard 1/4”-20 threaded mounting socket. If desired, you can easily wall mount your PLAY:1 using a suitable mounting bracket (not included). Simply choose a location that’s close to an electrical outlet (power cord length is 2m), taking care to avoid heat, steam, dripping water or hidden wiring, and follow the instructions included with the wall mount kit. You can hang it right side up (control buttons on top) or upside down (control buttons on the bottom).
Note: Be sure the wall mount bracket you purchase will support at least 8lbs. (3.6 kgs) and has a 1/4”-20 threaded post.
Adding to an Existing Sonos System
Once you’ve got your Sonos music system set up, you can easily add more Sonos products any time (up to 32).
1. Select a location for your PLAY:1 (see Selecting a Location above for optimal placement guidelines.)
Volume up (+)
Volume down (-)
Press these buttons to adjust the volume up and down.
Threaded mounting hole 1/4 inch / 20-thread
The PLAY:1 has an integrated mounting hole on the back of the unit so it can be wall-mounted if desired (mounting bracket not included.) See Wall Mounting for more information.
Ethernet port You can use an Ethernet cable (supplied) to connect the PLAY:1 to a router, computer, or additional network device such as a networkattached storage (NAS) device.
AC power (mains) input
(100 - 240 VAC, 50/60 Hz)
Use only the supplied power cord to connect to a power outlet (using a third-party power cord will void your warranty).
Insert the power cord firmly into the PLAY:1 until it is flush with the bottom of the unit.
Sonos PLAY:1 5
2. Attach the power cord to the PLAY:1 and apply power. Be sure to push the power cord firmly into the bottom of the PLAY:1 until it is flush with the bottom of the unit. Note: If you want to make a wired connection, connect a standard Ethernet cable from your router or another Sonos product (or a live network wall plate if you have built-in wiring) to an Ethernet port on the back of the PLAY:1.
3. Choose one of the following options:
• Using a handheld Sonos controller: Select Add a Player or SUB from the Settings menu and follow the on-screen prompts to add this product to your Sonos system.
• Using the Sonos app for Mac or PC: Select Add a Player or SUB from the Manage menu and follow the prompts to add this product to your Sonos system.
Thick walls, 2.4 GHz cordless telephones, or the presence of other wireless devices can interfere with or block the wireless network signals from your Sonos system. If you experience difficulty after positioning a Sonos product, try one or more of the following resolutions—relocate the Sonos product; change the wireless channel your music system is operating on; connect a Sonos product to your router if your setup is currently wireless.
Tune Your Room with Trueplay™
While you can locate Sonos speakers just about anywhere, the size and shape of your room and the objects in it can distort your speaker’s sound. To ensure a speaker sounds right no matter where you place it, Sonos speakers include Trueplay. If you have an iPhone (4S or later), iPad, or iPod Touch running iOS7 or later, you
can use Trueplay tuning to make every Sonos speaker sound right for the room and true to the music. Sonos uses your iOS device’s microphone to measure acoustic distortion in the room and then Trueplay adapts your Sonos speaker's sound for its position in the room.
1. Select Settings -> Room Settings.
2. Select the room your speaker is located in.
3. Select Trueplay Tuning and follow the on-screen prompts.
Note: Trueplay tuning is not available if VoiceOver is enabled on your iOS device. If you want to tune your speakers, first turn VoiceOver off on your device and then
select Settings -> Room Settings from the Sonos app.
Creating a Stereo Pair
The stereo pair setting allows you to group two PLAY:1s, PLAY:3s or PLAY:5®s in the same room to create a wider stereo experience. In this configuration, one unit serves as the left channel and the other serves as the right channel. You cannot create a mixed stereo pair—the Sonos products in the stereo pair must be the
Optimum placement information
• When creating a stereo pair, it is best to place the two Sonos products 8 to 10 feet away from each other.
• Your favorite listening position should be 8 to 12 feet from the paired Sonos products. Less distance will
increase bass, more distance will improve stereo imaging.